Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Solaris - 10/7, Anthology Film Archives

This is obviously one of the greatest films ever made. What can I say, except that it was wonderful to finally see it in the cinema (after three viewings on video) despite a slightly faded print. Three commonly-told lies about Solaris: "it's not really scifi"; "it's a lot like 2001"; "it's boring". Jonas Mekas even selected it as this month's entry in his "Boring Masterpieces" program; there is a large lake full of apt adjectives to choose from to describe this movie but "boring" is one I would never think of using, for in each viewing I was riveted through the whole film. I assume it was picked to lend some class, sparkle, or substance to his collection- a bad call, because adding Solaris to any list can only make the other items look worse. Of course it's more so a good call, because we got to see it.


2 comments:

  1. Unforgettable imagery. And I can see myself saying that regardless of the images you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these stills are beautiful. i never really had an interest in seeing solaris but maybe i should see it now. well that and aelita:queen of mars.

    ReplyDelete